Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Bloomin' Card

I haven't been able to make something for my blog in a week. My son's school reopened, my husband was on leave, so many family get togethers, arghh... it was never ending. I was finally able to get a pocket of time yesterday and I made this card for PlayDate Cafe's latest challenge. I gotta say Play Date Cafe's challenges really interest me. I first heard of them over on Juhi's blog and now I find myself waiting for the weekly theme. They choose these really offbeat color combinations and I find myself pondering long and hard on how to make them work. The color pallette for this week is Champagne...Sky Blue...Tangerine and  this is my take on it.
Sky blue is easy enough. Tangerine is a kind of reddish orange and champagne - well that's a  color that's impossible to describe. I made the flowers out of orange card stock and I used my sponge dauber with some red ink to give the petals more dimension and to create the tangerine color. Incorporating the champagne was a really uphill task. I even went as far as to cut a strip from a scarf for it. Then I decided to go with the trim using one of ItsyBitsy's glitter strips

I wanted the flowers to look like they were bursting or blooming out of the frame and I think I achieved that effect. Then I thought long and hard about a complementary sentiment and I figured with Valentines Day around the corner, I could go with something amorous - what do you think of what I came up with? - 'Your're Bloomin' Awesome'

My trusted Cameo came in handy for most of this card. The interlocking circle background, the flowers, the label and the sentiment were all created on the cameo. I found this awesome site called BirdsCards.com that offers free cut files and I got the label and background from there. They also have some awesome digital stamps. The interlocking circle background was a square frame that I modified to a rectangle. Let me know if you want it.

Here is the PlayDate Cafe inspiration picture.


I also want to give a shout-out for Sindhu of Trapped in Craft who is hosting this awesome giveaway of die-cuts to celebrate 6  months of blogging. Congrats to Sindhu and don't forget to drop by and participate!

Linking to:
Play Date Cafe #163
The Pink Elephant # 181
Craft Room Challenge - Valentines
C.R.A.F.T 188 - Make your Own Backing Paper
My Mum's Craft Shop #1 - Anything Goes
The Paper Players Challenge 127 - Love is in the Air
Inspire Me Fridays 90 - Anything Goes

Update 12.1.13 - Won The Play Date Cafe - Challenge 163 - Hurray!!!

22 comments:

  1. Just loved the color combo and the awesome result :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunehra... Your card is absolutely beautiful... And i have no enough words to describe your flowers...they are just so awesome...colours especially.. And i love the sentiment and BG too.. Such an awesome card really!

    You are so sweet! Thanks for the shout out.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, flowers are awesome...Lovely creation Sunehra..!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!! what a beautiful card Sunhera ...love the color combo and the burst of flower's in the centre ...They look gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely.I love the card and I think you achieved all the right colours.Love that flower idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi ...loved the blooms very much...they r pretty awesome...n thank u so much for joining me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous card, love the blooms. me too love to play along at play date cafe, but didnt get time to make anything this week :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beauty!!! It's so great to have you with us and appreciate that you are willing to take the challenge : ) You really made these colors shine and we look forward to having you with us again in The Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! The flowers are impecible! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed with your beautiful card! Great layout, and yes the colors were a pretty good challenge! That's the point right?! Well done Sunhera. Thanks for hanging out with us at The Play Date Cafe, you made the gallery even more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous card! The three-dimensional flowers are just beautiful. You have achieved such wonderful depth by inking the petals. I am so glad that you found our challenge and that you enjoyed playing along with us - we are so happy to have you! I hope to see you joining us again for future challenges at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely card - really love the colours and the background paper.
    Good to have you join us at CRAFT this week. Look forward to seeing you again.
    Hugs Sheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Those flowers are stunning...I can't believe how good the shading looks. The background looks fabulous too. Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow this post didnt turn up on my dashboard...blogger woes continue to haunt me!! The tangerine color is captured so beautifully with your shading!! And I agree with you about the glitter strips they come in so handy!

    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  15. those flwers are just gorgeous, and I love the orange and blue together, thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog.Your work is so perfect! Love each and every card of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is stunning Sunehra!!! love the bold tangerine color!

    Thank you so much for sharing @ Inspire Me Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pastel colours and your take on the challenge Sunehra..flowers are pretty !! Thanks a lot Sunehra for visiting my blog..i am your new follower too !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow love the vibrant colors and the BG is fabulous..:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. love love love the colors and the flowers what an amazing card thanks for visiting my blog hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Superb card, loving the flowers and great sentiment. thank you for sharing it with us at Craft-room challenge this fortnight and good luck. Hugs

    NIKKI DT

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you think. Mention your blog too so I can visit you!